Friday, October 23, 2009

Random Thoughts and Things I'm Happy About

* I work at the Marriott center as an usher and it's basically boring. But I was working last night for homecoming spectacular and there were like a billion and twelve people there. So I was standing in my portal passing out programs and directing people to their seats and there was a few minutes where I was surrounded by like a bajillion old people wanting me to help them find their seat and give them a program. I was starting to feel frazzled and a little annoyed but was still all smiley and trying to be cheerful and helpful even though I was tired and stressed about how much homework I had sitting at home waiting for me, when the crowd began to clear and people started moving out of the doorway to find their seats. During this momentary lull, an old gentleman touched my arm to get my attention and then said simply, "you are beautiful." He turned away and went to find his seat. He can have no idea what an impact those three words had on my night. I'm so grateful that he took the time to pay a compliment to a stranger.

* It is officially fall and the colors here are so beautiful. The weather has warmed up a bit this last week or so and I absolutely love spending time outside. I should take some pictures. or rather, I should find my camera. . .

* Since I came to BYU I have been looking for my favorite study spot on campus. There are plenty of options, and I've tried a bunch of them, and found some that I liked and will frequent, but I had yet to find the perfect spot. Until Wednesday. On the fourth floor of one of the buildings there is a deck area with tables and chairs and potted plants and the most beautiful view of campus and the mountains. It is truly a perfect place to read during my long breaks between classes, and I'm only sad that it will soon be too cold to sit out there and I didn't find it sooner.

* So, I love to bake, right? This is pretty much common knowledge, but my very favorite baking of all time is fall baking. I love it when it's cold outside and my house smells like pumpkin and spices. Is there anything better than that? I think not. So a couple of weeks ago I made a pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting and it was divine. Then this week I made pumpkin cookies and used my leftover frosting and also made some with mini chocolate chips. They were so yummy. I'm trying to decide what it will be this week . . . maybe a pumpkin roll? Pumpkin pie? Pumpkin bars? Pumpkin bread? Are you seeing a theme here? I love baking with pumpkin. But maybe I'll branch out and try a spice cake or something. Hmm, any suggestions?

* Is anyone else out there obsessed with glee? It's pretty much my new favorite show. I really don't watch tv very much at all, but every once in a while a show comes along that catches my attention. And now that pushing daisies is cancelled and I've watched every episode on dvd enough times to be ridiculous, I'm happy to have a new show.

* Speaking of tv, Hillary, I'm sorry I made fun of you for watching Phineas and Ferb. My roommate and I have caught it a couple of times and it is surprisingly entertaining. You were right, it's hilarious.

* As of Tuesday I will finally be done with midterms. I just have to finish my take-home New Testament exam this weekend and then take my killer Russian midterm on Tuesday. Whose idea was it to take Russian, anyway? I'm telling you, this class is intense.

* I am literally counting down the days until Thanksgiving. I have to work, so I can't go home this year, but Cassie is coming to visit me again and I am seriously so excited. It cannot come fast enough. And then in December, my old roommate Kaila is coming to visit me and then a couple weeks later I get to go home for Christmas. I'm so excited, these thoughts are seriously getting me through my classes right now.

* I wish there were good movies out right now, I'm dying to go to the movies. Anyone seen anything good lately?

* So, I just read back over this and I asked like six hundred questions and the train of thought makes absolutely no logical sense. Oh well, I warned you it would be random.

* Happy Friday.

6 comments:

Jes said...

First: that old man compliment story is adorable and I totally would have cried then :)

Second I LOVE (and may be completely obsessed with) PUMPKIN...anything... period. MMMMM!! I vote you make me treats! :) I made my very favorite cookies (pumpkin chocolate chip) and some snickerdoodles yesterday...and Im with you on looking for new pumpkin ideas... theres really nothing else as good! (and oh the smell of pumpkin spices and cinnamon!)

Im glad Im not the only one who obsessively watches Pushing Daisies Dvds! lol My husband is so burnt out on them now that Ive begun watching them alone during the days and crying myself to sleep at night that there's nothing else on that is as good (jk about the latter *wink* ...but serious)...Ive never tried Glee, so maybe I will have to :)

As for the Russian being crazy and hard right now, DITTO! I love Russian, love studying it, and want to do well at it so Im kinda stressing a little right now since its hard too and sometimes almost overwhelming to remember it all! Goodluck on your midterm!!!

lizlaughs said...

I love Utah in the fall, I am so jealous! I was just wishing I had a good reason to make this pumpkin cheesecake or these pumpkin cookies.

oh and p.s. you are beautiful! :D

Durfee Family said...

I agree with the *old man* and with Elizabeth! YOU my dear are beautiful!

I had the most amazing pumpkin treat today... I'm going to google recipe right now! It's called Goey Pumpkin bars by Paula Deen. I'll try to find it and FB you the recipe! It was seriously to die for! (Think pumpkin pie only better-if that even possible!)

Love AND Miss you!

Karen D said...

When you were talking at Trentons Eagle Court of Honor, I just kept looking at you and thinking...Dad-gum, She is really beautiful! Really! Cute story, sometimes we need a random shot in the arm, I am glad he was there and followed that inspiration. I long for a good movie myself....deep sigh. Love you loads!
Mom

Hillary said...

Alicia,
Love and miss you a thousand times over! Been thinking about you a lot lately. I NEED to call you! :)
I seriously love that old man to pieces. You are truly so beautiful! Don't ever forget!

HA about phineas and ferb! That seriously cracked me up. James and I are still always watching it too! LOL

I have been obsessed with pumpkin too! I LOVE it! Let me know what recipes you find! ~You are so amazing.

I am so jealous of your fall weather and want to visit you soooo much!
Love ya!
-Hillary

Oh and New Moon is in 25 days....

Kayley said...

Miss Alicia! I almost called you today--Thursday Nov.5, that is. Someone was burning some leaves or something and it made me think of Russia, which made me think of you...How are you? I've been wanting to hang out with you! I loved this post! I wish I could spend more time with you. Oh, and if you don't have Thanksgiving plans, you are more than welcome to come with us. We would love to see you and share our food with you! And, the story about the old man--adorable! I would have probably cried. :) And he was right-you are beautiful!!